Specialist Adult ED Practitioner (Mat Cover)
Schoen Clinic Day Centre for Mental Health Chelsea
Schoen Clinic Chelsea opened in 2019 as a highly specialised outpatient clinic providing individualised treatment packages for patients and their families suffering from eating disorders and anxiety and mood disorders. The clinic is nestled in a discreet location in the heart of Chelsea, treating patients 11 years+ with eating disorders and adults (18 years +) with anxiety and mood disorders such as depression, OCD and panic disorders.
A particular focus is on patients not requiring inpatient care but in need of fast access to specialised treatment. Consultations and therapy sessions are accessible both online and in clinic.
Psychological treatment programmes cover key areas for recovery including group psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), art therapy, Compassionate Mind group, talking therapies, dance movement therapy, assertiveness, dietetic support and mindfulness.
Every person is a partner in their care, with treatment tailored to individual needs based on the latest evidence-based research. Our Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) approach means the person stays at the centre of a team of experts throughout their journey, including Psychotherapists, Dieticians, Psychiatrists and Counselling Psychologists.
Schoen Clinic Chelsea is bright and modern with 6 consulting rooms, 3 group therapy rooms, a large patient lounge, a relaxation area and a fully-fitted, modern training kitchen to help rehabilitate patients with eating disorders.
Schoen Clinic Chelsea is a specialist private mental health facility for outpatients and day patients. The Consultant Psychiatrist will be one of two post holders medically responsible for patients on the anxiety and mood disorder treatment programme, working as part of a multidisciplinary team. Primary roles include assessing, treating and managing patients as a key member of the MDT, supporting other team members and developing the service in line with Schoen Clinic goals and focussing on quality and values-driven healthcare.
- Liaise with referrers, potential referrers and community teams both in the NHS and private sector
- Comprehensive clinical assessments, formulation, risk assessment and development of management plans
- Formulate an initial care plan on assessment
- Mental state examination and physical examination as required, including referrals for physical health investigations if needed
- Continue to develop an individual formulation for each patient, in conjunction with other team members
- Liaise with GPs and physical health specialists as required
- Manage a balanced caseload of outpatients (including 1- 2 new patients per week) alongside regular reviews of day patients
- Practice in accordance with the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act
- Whilst the primary focus of referral is anxiety and mood disorders, assessments and treatment to also include consideration of relevant co-morbid disorders such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, personality disorder, autism spectrum disorder, ADHD etc
- Lead responsibility for the physical health of patients, arrange investigations and refer to other services as required
- Liaise with other services and agencies as required
- Review care plans with the multidisciplinary team and agree outcomes at the MDT meeting
- Carry out a weekly assessment of day patient risk with the MDT
- Prescribe and monitor medication appropriately in the light of relevant guidelines, including prescribing which extends beyond the usual psychiatric formulary
- Liaise with social care agencies, provide reports and attend safeguarding meetings as required
- Contribute to generating discharge summaries within the unit’s agreed timescale
- Ensure routine outcome measures are completed on admission and at timely intervals thereafter
- Work with managers and clinical colleagues to identify areas for improvement and implement necessary change
- Cross-cover for medical colleagues when they are absent due to annual leave, sick leave or other unforeseen events
- Review the results of blood tests and other investigations and take appropriate action
- Prescribe medication remotely when required, in accordance with unit procedure
- Take a lead role in discharge planning
- Carry out practical procedures as appropriate and in line with clinical competence
- Assess patients for both inpatient and outpatient treatment and arrange timely referral to inpatient units if clinically indicated
- Contribute to development of new services as the clinic grows
- Arrange annual leave cover with colleagues as per the unit procedure
- Assist in overseeing educational programmes for student placements and in-house staff
- Contribute to in-house teaching and training events
- Contribute to audit, service evaluation and research if appropriate
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant legal considerations in relation to the treatment of patients
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of general adult psychiatric disorders and their treatment, with an emphasis on anxiety and depressive disorders.
- Be aware of and follow appropriate guidance from professional bodies such as the General Medical Council
- Participate in both statutory and organisational appraisal and the revalidation process
- Participate in annual job plan reviews
- Take part in all required training, including Intermediate Life Support
- Attend consultants’ meetings and other committees as appropriate
- Participate in Schoen Clinic’s CPD programme and maintain good standing for CPD with the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Carry out appropriate preparation for the weekly MDT meeting.
- Assess, review and document the patient’s capacity to make decisions about treatment and document the reason for the decision reached
- Make an entry in the medical notes following each clinical contact
- Complete required blood request forms for each patient
- Represent Schoen Clinic Chelsea during inspections and CQC and other regulatory reviews
The Key Accountabilities detailed within Section 2 of this job description are not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and role.
OUR AWARDS & NOMINATIONS
HOSPITAL GROUP OF YEAR - WINNER
Nursing Practice (Schoen Clinic Newbridge)
Healthcare Outcomes (Schoen Clinic Newbridge)
Management Excellence (Schoen Clinic UK)
Hospital (Schoen Clinic London)
HOSPITAL - WINNER
Hospital Group (Schoen Clinic London)
Nursing Practice (Schoen Clinic London)
SCHOEN CLINIC CULTURE
Our culture of world-class medical excellence is based around our five key values:
Accountable: Taking ownership of the things I say and do
Caring: Treating others as I would like to be treated
Collaborative: Working together to make a winning team
Courageous: Being proud to be different and challenge the norm
Determined: Seeing things through to meet and exceed expectations
Please note: Due to the commitment to continuous improvement, it is likely that the post will evolve over time. These duties will be subject to regular review and any amendments will be made in consultation and agreement with the post holder.
Schoen Clinic Day Centre for Mental Health Chelsea
Fixed Term, Part Time
£up to £50,500 (pro rata)
8th October 2021
- Specialist registration with the General Medical Council and a license to practice MRCPsych or equivalent.
- Approved Clinician status or willingness to achieve this
- Registration for CPD with the Royal College of Psychiatrists and in good standing
- Knowledge of psychopharmacology as applied to anxiety and mood diorders
- Knowledge of the physical complications of mood and anxiety disorders and their management
- High degree of self-awareness and ability to reflect on own emotional responses to patients
- Willingness to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Minimum of one years’ experience of anxiety and mood disorders as a higher trainee or equivalent
- Experience of a variety of psychotherapeutic approaches used in the treatment of eating disorders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
- up to £50,500 per annum
- 25 days holiday + 8 Bank Holidays
- Pension scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Eye Care Scheme
- Online Benefits Portal
- Training & development opportunities