Mr Adam Budgen
Mr Budgen has been a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon since 2003. He specialises in all aspects of foot & ankle disorders. He has been the Senior and Clinical Lead Surgeon in the York Foot and Ankle Unit at York University Hospitals.
Educated at Ampleforth College, he studied at Imperial College / St Mary's Hospital Medical School and Hammersmith Hospital before higher surgical training in Yorkshire.
He performed an International Foot and Ankle fellowship with Terry Saxby in Brisbane before returning to York as a Consultant Surgeon. This involved treating patients and elite sportsmen and women throughout Australia.
In 2003 he was appointed in York as Consultant Foot and Ankle Surgeon. He works closely with medical staff, physiotherapists and podiatrists in rehabilitation of the injured individual. He treats many elite teams in Sport including Super League and Championship Rugby (league and union), Premiership and Championship soccer, National and County Cricket, basketball, ballet and contemporary dance as well as the British Triathlon and Plympic Team.
Mr Budgen has considerable experience of articular cartilage disorders, foot and ankle resurfacing techniques and introduced ankle replacement as a treatment option for ankle arthritis treating patients from over the North of England. His practice treating patients with soft tissue foot and ankle disorders, achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis and tendon injuries included setting up the regional day case service for achilles tendon ruptures.
He has been using extra-corporeal shockwave therapy for soft tissue disorders since 2008 and has applied minimally invasive techniques of the hindfoot and forefoot for over ten years, performing a very large number of these procedures. He has published on hindfoot fusion, ankle and hindfoot deformity and joint resurfacing, achilles tendon injuries, ankle replacement, inflammatory arthritis of the foot and ankle and minimally invasive surgery of the forefoot.
He regularly takes part in the education of Consultants and Registrars and has been the Director of a specialist foot and ankle fellowship as well as a regular international faculty member for treatment of foot and ankle conditions.
Mr Budgen speaks Spanish and functional Portuguese.
Areas of Expertise
- Sports injuries of the foot & ankel including lateral and syndesmotic ligament sprain and overuse / stress disorders
- Treatment including surgery to correct Bunion, Bunionette, Hammer toe, Morton's neuroma and other forefoot problems
- Minimally invasive surgery of the foot & ankle
- Ankle & hindfoot arthroscopy
- Achilles injuries including rupture and tendinopathy
- Extracorporeal shockwave therapy ESWT for musculoskeletal disorders
- Treatment both non-surgical surgical for plantar fasciitis.
- Treatment of adult acquired flatfoot deformity
- Treatment of high arched Cavus ankle / foot
- Treatment of osteochondral lesions in the ankle and foot
- Management of ankle and foot fractures
- Ankle replacement and fusion, both arthroscopic and open in the management of ankle arthritis
Consultant Website: adambudgen.co.uk